Saturday, July 14, 2018

Sleeping In

I don't.  I haven't been able to since I was quite young.  Sleeping in, for me, is getting up around sunrise, and usually came after I woke up for a couple of hours in the middle of the night.

I used to say I was an insomniac, but looking at it objectively, I don't think that is actually true.  Yes, I'm tired sometimes, but mostly I feel fine through the day.  I might doze in my chair in the living room in the evening, but the five to six hours of interrupted sleep that I get each night is usually more than enough.  The four-or-less-hour nights are another matter, but they aren't the norm.

Anyway, among my strange sleeping habits is a tendency to do the "reverse sleep in."  Most sane and sensible people luxuriate on Saturday, sleeping in after a full week of work.  I get up earlier.

This is a more recent condition.  I think it relates to creative activities.  Throughout the week, I will write a bit each morning, but I view Saturday as a time for dedicated writing.  My mind turns over ideas I have worked on through the week, and often my Saturday morning is spent writing for hours before anyone else is up.

There are also times I like to catch the sunrise, such as I did in the accompanying photo, taken one October morning on the Oregon coast a couple of years ago.  I have been taking occasional early morning photo excursions for about 25 years on an occasional basis.

There are times where I feel like it would be kind of nice to be able to sleep in.  Sometimes I do that on Monday.  I mean, if you consider getting up at 5:30 AM sleeping in.

Happy Early-Weekend from Silicon Valley.

2 comments:

  1. I need to be awake it's just the simple - There are times however where I feel like it would be kind of nice to be able nap. Just can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds pretty familiar, Daniel. I can nap, though. Napping is easy. Falling asleep is often pretty easy. I just can't stay that way for long.

      Delete