Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Independence Day


Photo:  Sunrise Near Stanley Lake, Idaho, October 2016


Though I grew up in a small town in Idaho, and will always feel at ease in quiet solitude, I have become surprisingly at home in Silicon Valley, despite its many quirks.  I also have discovered that I can enjoy almost any environment, at least all that I have lived in so far.  I have not ever really accepted any particular place as home.  I'm a tumbleweed, by nature, and the fence that impedes my rolling is a good enough for me for as long as it can hold me.

I don't see any destination as sacred, but rather see that there is sacred in all things and all places.  Looking on the meaning of this day, the celebration of the birth of a nation, I see more meaning behind the spirit of independence, than I do about the place where this independence occurred.

One of the things I love about Silicon Valley is its pervasive energy, and the spirit of the people a place like this draws.  I'm fortunate that I work with a lot of folks who are spirited and independent, and diverse.  To look in the eyes of someone, on the sunrise of their own life adventure, reminds me of my journey so far.  Such a fabulous journey, and I look forward to the miles ahead.

Today, as I celebrate the day that a group of rebels split off from an empire, I also celebrate the deeper spirit of independence.  As I get older, the word takes on deeper and deeper meaning.

I hope you find time to think of the things in life that are special to you on this perfect Wednesday.

Happy Independence Day from Silicon Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment